BBA Architects LP

1881 Historic Casino Hall, La Grange

2017 AIA Brazos Honor Award

Programmatic Requirements

The Casino Hall Historic Building was built in 1881 and has served many purposes over the past 130 years. It was originally built as a gathering place for early German immigrants and later served as a school, city fire station, and lastly a senior center before it fell into disrepair. This historic renovation project is part of the city’s master plan to provide a performing arts center and visitor’s center to the public.

Design Solutions

To fulfill the objectives for this property to exhibit historic artifacts and serve as an entertainment center for the community, BBA converted its first floor space into a display gallery and visitor’s center. The second floor will be used for large gatherings/events and performances. The open floor plan on the second floor allows for a seating capacity of 300, with an additional 41 seats in the balcony. The exterior facade is refurbished to preserve the historic character of the late 19th century structure. The pediment, which had deteriorated and was removed, has been rebuilt and will again serve as a prominent architectural feature at the building’s main entrance. Interior finishes include refinishing of the wood plank flooring and beadboard wainscot.